Friday 27 April 2012

No Regrets

"If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world" (Mercedes Lackey)

Wikipedia describes the term 'Regret' as a negative conscious and emotional reaction to personal past acts and behaviours. According to that definition, regret has the ability to cause an internal negative emotional reaction, which is capable of restricting or limiting future activity. Do you recall ever using these words 'What if I had done it', 'I wish I attempted'. The most common phrase:-

If only I had told him that I loved him!
If only I had tried harder to make my relationship work!
If only I had worked just a little bit harder at work!
If only I attempted to pursue my goals!
Stop looking back and thinking 'Only if' Get on with it!

I have come to realise that there is greater emotional pain associated with regret, than actually carrying out the task. Zachary Scott, the famous American actor once noted in his later years, that "as we grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn’t do". Go and live a life of no regrets from today.

I read an interesting article by Dutch Tech Company TNW called "The top 5 regrets people have on their death-bed". Let us make sure we do not end up been part of the statistic saying these things below.

a)  I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
b)  I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
c) I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends
d) I wish that I had let myself be happier

If you try and you fail, at least you have learnt a lesson and you are able to try again, however, your inability to attempt the task will leave you saying 'I wish'

Take opportunities when they arise...Make an attempt today. Do not let regret cripple you.

Remember this as you go about your week. We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pains of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons. Jim Rohn

Have a brilliant week

No comments:

Post a Comment